Friday, March 7, 2008

What Bay Area Artists Can Turn Heads (Part II)

This topic got more responses than any other topic I've posted, so I'll discuss some stuff you guys brought up.

"That was a pretty legit rundown. I agree with most of that, especially Jacka that guy is a beast. Quick question though, maybe I'm just a delusional fan of bay music, but how did "From the Hood" with Quinn, Jacka, and Trax not blow up as a song? I thought it had serious potential for mainstream acceptance."

I also thought this song had potential to do some things, especially the way the video turned out. The problem is that the radio didn't really get behind it enough out here. Also I think the video might have been "too hood for TV." I think half of quinn's verse was bleeped out.

"
i think pack has an B list cause they have too short, the whole skate thing worked for them on vans. they also got connections to Gym Class Heroes and those guys have had some hits and possibly help them out with exposure.plus they do a lot of touring so that should help them get exposure also."

Yeah, you're probably right about that one. I don't know how much being with Too Short will help since Short's last album went unnoticed (although he did just put it out to finish off his contract with Jive). But the touring will help for sure and I didn't know about the Gym Class Heroes connections. I think their last album didn't do so well because they put out a weak single.

"What about Yukmouth? He's a def A-Lister...I think he's the most creative writer out right now, and he's always been a solid spitter 2...He's got a new album out now, he's leaving Rap-A-Lot...I c great things 2 come 4 Yuk!"

I think Yuk is a big question mark right now. He has the talent, and if he puts himself in the right situation he does have a chance to do some things again. But how many artists who went from getting a gold plaque to selling less than 3k first week were able to recover their careers?

"And Equipto...That dude can rap!"

I'm a fan of equipto. However, for the most part, the only people who know who he is are Andre Nickatina fans, and Nickatina is an underground rapper.

"
Nickatina? Or do u think he's 2 underground?"

Nickatina just doesn't have mainstream appeal. Plus, many people believe that his best days are over. I don't know if he has the same passion for music anymore.

"Big Rich has the flow and style to be accepted all around the country. "

I enjoyed Big Rich's solo. I just don't know if he could make a single that could break him through to the mainstream. He's very capable of making street anthems though.


Also worth mentioning is J. Valentine from the R&B side of things. His video for "She's Worth The Trouble" premiered on BET the other day. You can vote for it on their site. And if he makes it big, I think he's gonna bring Bailey with him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice segment! I've always thought I've been a fan of bay rap, but apprantly there's still more I need to learn...So thanks guys, for all the posts and replys.

Anonymous said...

Dubee?

Anonymous said...

can someone please tell me why Taj-he-Spitz from Fairfield, California isnt getting any attention. This dude has spits for days and will lyrically kill anyone and i mean ANYONE!!! and yes including F.A.B.

Anonymous said...

simple..... he can probably spit like crazy, freestyle like crazy.. but he has not yet made a crazy radio song... nobody knows him