Thursday, October 18, 2007

(Review) Federation- It's Whateva

Yeah...I know...I'm late.



1) Playtime Is Over 2/5
Funny little skit at the start of the song. I don't really like the beat, or the hook. They're pretty much trying to act hard on this track.

2) 18 Dummy Skit
Hella pointless...basically an ad for the drink.

3) 18 Dummy 3/5
Video Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=p8OHJFQfL3Y
This song is hella old. I hated it at first but its good when you're in a certain mood. The video is pretty cool.

4) Get Naked You Beezy 4/5
Beat slaps....the hook gets annoying after a while though. This is the type of music fedeation is best at.

5) College Girl Skit
eh...

6) College Girl 3.5/5
The drums on this beat are too sick. The verses are boring cuz of the flow/voice they use. Still, this song is worthy of getting played at college parties everywhere.

7) Got Me Fucked Up 5/5
Song Link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/43059751733b0f/
Great beat, hook, and lyrics.

8) From The Bay 3/5
Attempt at a Bay Area anthem. Ok beat and hook...not feelin the verses though.

9) My Rimz 4.5/5
I really like this one. The beat is kinda R&B style...but this isn't a bitch song. The hook gets stuck in my head. Overall very smooth song.

10) Happy I Met You ft. Snoop Dogg 2/5
Video Link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=QVwwltJOzUw
I don't like this song at all. An attempt to make a mainstream song...I'm sure some people like it though. Snoop looks funny in the video.

11) Scraper 2 A Benz ft. E-40 1/5
Worst beat ever.

12) She Go ft. Marty Jones 4/5
I don't like the singing on the hook...but the beat is perfect is great for the club.

13) New Baby Daddy 4.5/5
Song Link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/43062065904f28/
Rick Rock did his thing...

14) We On Yo Line ft. Cashis 3.5/5
Nice beat....but people don't buy Federation albums to listen to lyrics about shooting people.

15) Black Roses 4/5
Song Link: http://www.zshare.net/audio/43062932b1453e/
Federation steps outta the box on this one. It's different but I like it....sometimes.

16) Jail Skit
Good lead in to the next song.

17) Fly Away 4/5
I can dig it. Federation spitting something from the heart. Hook is a bit corny though.

18) When I Was Yo Man Skit
It's whateva.

19) When I Was Yo Man 3.5/5
This just doesn't fit in on this album. Nice soulful song though.

20) Bang Bang 3/5
Nice beat...Federation isn't really saying nathin though....outshined by the guests on this song.

21) Break Your Face 2/5
Annoying angry non rap song.


This album has a few good moments, but overall, it doesn't compare to their debut that dropped a few years back. It doesn't help that their most popular song of the past year or two, "I Wear My Stunna Glasses At Night," couldn't get cleared and wasn't included on the album. Rick Rock gives us some more great beats on this album (surprisingly a few crappy ones too), but the Federation tried to do a little too much on the album. Most great albums have a certain vibe throughout, but this album was all over the place. The skits also disrupted the flow. The Federation sounds most comfortable when it comes to doing party tracks, and there are a few nice ones, but if you're looking for something more you might wanna look somewhere else.

Lyrics: 2.5/5
Beats: 4/5
Subject Matter: 3/5

Overall: 3.25/5

No comments: