Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ya Boy, Drop An Album Already

Want to know the first Bay Area album I purchased in stores? It wasn't any of the classics that dropped in the 90s. It was Ya Boy's "Rookie Of The Year" album that dropped in 2005. That was when I got my first job and finally had some of my own money to spend. I was real happy with that purchase, but now its 2008, and there's no sign of a follow up album.

Instead, what we're getting is countless mixtapes. I check out that first one with DJ Skee that dropped a year ago, and yeah, I enjoyed it. I checked out the next one and listened to it a few times. I got the one after that and listened to it once. Now, I'm not even going to bother listening to any mixtapes from him. Instead of helping Ya Boy build a buzz, his style is just getting played out (at least for me it is).

Have you ever heard of a rapper named Papoose? Unless you visit East Coast dominated website/forums, you probably haven't. It seems like Ya Boy is following his footsteps and that of many other East Coast rappers by becoming what is known as a mixtape rapper. There were actually signs pointing to a retail release from Ya Boy. He had announced an EP that was supposed to be out last summer and even shot a video for a Cool & Dre produced single. The single didn't blow up and Ya Boy is back to doing mixtapes.

I'm starting to question whether or not Ya Boy has what it takes to drop a great album. He clearly does have skills when it comes to flow and creative punchlines. However, the thing thats been missing from his songs is good subject matter. I'm hoping he's saving that for an album, but right now 90% of his songs are about money, guns, how real he is, and fucking bitches. That kind of rap was entertaining when I was a high school, but now I want more from my music.

I like real songs like this... Ya Boy ft. Jin- Down So Long

On a side note... I get annoyed when people say Ya Boy sounds too much like The Game. Hasn't Ya Boy been rapping longer than Game? Didn't The Game come to San Francisco to work with JT The Bigga Figga when he was learning to rap? So really...who sounds like who?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Papoose has a song with Big Rich and Balance of the Unda Dog Kingz Mixtape

Anonymous said...

MAN I didn't read the whole article, I went STRAIGHT to this comment after reading the name of the article.

I agree when you say he needs to DROPP AN ALBUM ALREADY. Holy shit this nigga goes on and on with these fuckin mixtapes i'm getting tired of it. I wanna see this fool put together an album, make a music video, have it on BET and MTV and make his way to the top.

Instead, he's putting out hella mixtapes because he's desperately trying to gain more fans. If you didn't know, Ya Boy is trying to go 5x platinum on his FIRST MAINSTREAM ALBUM. How gay is that, Ya Boy is busy worrying about going 5x platinum whereas if he just put out an album right now he'd quickly make his way to the top.

That's the problem with Ya Boy. He has so much talent but he's doing all the wrong things. That nigga don't even fuck with the Hyphy Movement and never wants to work with big name artists/producers. All you hear is him doing tracks with no name rappers and having his songs produced by no name producers (except for cool and dre). When the fuck am I gonna hear a bangin West Coast Ya Boy track produced by Dr. Dre????

This is why i'm rooting for Mistah FAB and Clyde Carson over Ya Boy now. FAB knows what he's doing, FAB is affiliating with hella niggas right now and already has songs with guys like Glasses, Chamillionare, Rick Ross etc.; Clyde Carson already has a song with The Game produced by Dr. Dre. And what the fuck has YA BOY done so far? MIXTAPES, that's all he's been doing.

That nigga Ya Boy can't even update www.yaboyblog.com

Ya Boy isn't even on XXL Mag's "Top 15 West Coasts Artists". He's slowly losing respect from people. The only time when he had some BIG buzz was in 2006 when he was unsigned, he was the biggest unsigned hype there was. That nigga didn't even join no big label, he decided to do shit himself and he's getting no where with it.

Ya Boy keep talkin bout how he's gonna bring the Bay back. FUCK THAT SHIT. With the pace he's progressing, he's not gonna do shit. Mistah FAB and Clyde Carson will bring the Bay back, NOT YA BOY.

Unknown said...

I've been listening to Ya Boy since 16's wit me and he is making moves.

His new song with K Fed was hot on the reals. It was definitely dancefloor material, which sells albums.

I think if he doesn't come out with one this Summer he is done-zo.